Pages

3.20.2013

Bulgogi- Korean BBQ


Ten years ago my husbands first duty station was South Korea (Fiance at the time).  I went to visit him for my 21st birthday and fell in love (we were already in LOVE but I fell in LoVe with Korea)!  The market's were fantastic, the people were wonderful and the food was amazing!  My favorite was BULGOGI or Korean BBQ.  You can cook the thinly sliced meat at the table, eat it with many different toppings such as Kimchi and wrap it in lettuce leaves.  When I got home after my week long adventure I told my mom about it and of course word spread like wild fire in my family of chefs and people who like to eat and soon my Grandma had found a recipe of her own. I still use the original recipe the only thing I change is I double the sauce and I've also modified the rice so I can use brown rice.


My family loves this recipe especially my husband since it reminds him of his tour in Korea.  We may be heading back over there as a family so I guess it's a good thing that the boys love it too!!  I even picked up some sushi today and the boys really enjoyed that. I am so lucky to have two little boys who will eat or at least try just about anything!

BULGOGI
(has been modified from the original recipe)

1/2 cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
3 Tbsp Sugar
1-2 tsp Asian Sesame Oil
3 gloves Minced Garlic
2 tsp Minced Ginger
3 Green Onions Chopped
3 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1lb (or a little over) steak, I used Top Round you can use Flank
One head Boston or Bibb lettuce


Put the steak in the freezer while you prep the sauce and the rice it will be easier to get a thin slice.
In a ziplock bag mix soy, sugar, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, and 1/3 of the green onions, zip and mix with fingers.  Prep rice.


COCONUT RICE (WHITE)

2 cups long grain rice or basmati
1 Tbsp butter
1 cup water
1 14 oz can coconut milk
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 salt

Rinse rice in a sieve under cold water.  Heat butter in a 2-3 quart saucepan on med-high. Add rice and cook until opaque.  Add remainder of ingredients and bring to boil. Stir, cover and reduce heat to low simmer for 20 min.  Remove cinnamon stick and fluff with fork.


COCONUT RICE (BROWN)

1 Cup brown basmati rice
1 Tbsp coconut oil (you can use butter or olive oil)
1 14oz can coconut milk (I used light)
1/3 cup water
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 salt

Rinse rice in a sieve under cold water.  Heat oil in a 2-3 quart saucepan on med-high. Add rice and cook until opaque.  Add remainder of ingredients and bring to boil. Stir, cover and reduce heat to low simmer for 40 min.  Remove cinnamon stick and fluff with fork. Brown rice needs much more liquid and time to cook so be sure to use the proper recipe-this one works for me.

PREP DONE!

If your going to make the brown rice let it cook for 10-15 min before slicing your meat, it only needs to marinate for 15-20 min and takes only a couple min to cook.  

Oops I almost forgot! Cut the stem out of the bottom of your lettuce, rinse and let it air dry.






Once your marinade is made and your rice is cooking slice your meat against the grain as thin as you can


As you slice add if to your marinade.  Once it's all sliced mix it up and refrigerate for 15 min.  Clean up, have a glass of wine, phone a friend...tick tock...ok



Heat a large skillet or WOK on Med-High add a little Veg Oil, add the meat a little at a time so that it sears not boils.  When it gets to Med Rare remove to a dish and add the next batch, it will continue to cook so don't over cook! Once all your meat is cooked sprinkle on your toasted sesame seeds.




OPTION: Once all your meat is cooked you can pour in your sauce and cook it until it boils then add it to your meat.

Normally we buy Kimchi from the commissary but this time we got some homemade kimchi from one of the instructors at Austen's HAPMUDO studio.  Her mom is Korean and she makes it all the time! It was de-lish!


O.K. Now you need to know HOW to eat it!!  Well this is how WE eat it!


Grab a leaf of lettuce, add some coconut rice, then add your beef, then your desired toppings.  I chose Kimchi, green onions, and sometimes Siracha. 


Assorted Toppings:

Kimchi, Siracha, Franks Red Hot Chili sauce (the boys like this one), green onions.


The boys were happy to have these little chopstick helpers!
I've had them forever from PF Chang's They used them for their Sushi!


 Here are the original recipes from my mom/grandma.  As you can see from all the splotches they have been used a lot!  I don't even need them anymore I've made it so much!! I'm not sure where the original came from but it's a great recipe even though I've modified it to fit our tastes.



I hope you enjoy! Thanks for stoping by!

Jess


1 comment:

  1. I love love love this recipe and you baby great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my Blog. I will try to read your comment and get back to you as soon as possible!! Thank you for stopping by! Jess

Swidget 1.0