Pages

7.29.2010

Dress Shirt to Kids Art Smock! & Tutorial

When Austen started Pre-K last year, mid-school year, I really wanted to make him a cute art smock.  Since he started mid-year I really didn't have time to make anything.  So we just bought a XXL Kids Dress shirt so it would be nice and loose on him.


Well they never used it.  This year in Kindergarten I'm sure he'll need one so I decided to take the dress shirt and turn it into an Art Smock.  I also had some cute ribbon leftover from Riley's tag square that was blue camouflage which is perfect for this little project.

The first thing you want to do is line up the sleeves.


Then Cut the sleeves at desired length- remember you will be folding the ends under twice so I left an extra inch.


Turn sleeves inside-out, then fold the ends 1/2 inch, press then 1/2 inch again and press.  Sew along the folded edge to seal the hem.




Then flip the sleeves right side out and attach the ribbon onto the ends of the sleeves.  I sewed along both sides of the ribbon.



Then unbutton the collar.  Attach the ribbon along the edge, I tucked the end of the ribbon around to the underside of the collar when I sewed it on.  Make sure you sew both sides of the ribbon and don't over the button hole with the ribbon.  Once you have the ribbon on your can wiggle the buttons back in.  You shouldn't have to make button holes, the will just be under the ribbon. (This did take a little bit of wiggling)



Next I loosened the top of the pocket and attached the ribbon across the top.  Be sure to wrap the ends around when you sew.  Then reattach the pocket.


Next you will need to remove the buttons down the front and mark where you want to put velcro.  I put 3-3 inch pieces down the front.  I put the rough part of the velcro on the side that had the buttons.  Sew each piece on.  I sewed all four sides.


Then you'll need to line up the inside of the matching front and mark where you want the smooth part of the velcro. 


Once you have the velcro on you can attach the ribbon to the front of the shirt, on the other side of the smooth velcro.  Again sew down both sides and the ends of the ribbon.


There you have it all done!


I am going to add one more step when I have time tomorrow.  I'm going to Freezer-paper stencil Austen's name on the back of the smock.  I can't wait til he sees it in the morning!

1 comment:

  1. So cute--I love the fun details the ribbon adds! I also like the idea of using a larger size child's shirt rather than a men's dress shirt. Not as much cutting and sewing that way.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my Blog. I will try to read your comment and get back to you as soon as possible!! Thank you for stopping by! Jess

Swidget 1.0