Pages

7.20.2010

Thai Coconut Ginger Soup!

Can't wait to make this! I've been looking for Lemongrass EVERYWHERE but haven't found this.  When we went to Florida for vacation last week my Dad actually had it growing in his back yard!  He said it grows quick and easily so he pulled out a few bulbs for me to take back. 

Recipe:

2-14 oz can of unsweetened coconut milk
3 cups Chicken Broth
2 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
6 tablespoons of finely chopped lemongrass (I have kept it in the freezer then used the microplane to shred it up!)
1/4 cup fish sauce
2 tablespoons fresh Ginger
1 tablespoon Garlic
1 Serrano chili or jalapeno (cut a slit down the middle but leave the top together)
*Optional I like to add 1 tablespoon garlic chili sauce
1 lb chicken, cut into thin strips or 1 inch chunks (or peeled shrimp)
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions (white and green parts)
1/4 cup thinly sliced basil or cilantro (I prefer cilantro)
3 tablespoons fresh Lime Juice
2 cups of steamed rice (great use for leftover rice)

Combine first 8 ingredients, including the whole pepper (I just cut a slit to give just a bit of heat, but you can cut it up into rings if you prefer) into a large stock pot. Bring to boil then reduce heat so simmer. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.  Add chicken (or shrimp) simmer until cooked through, about 5 min. Stir in Lime Juice. 

Spoon some leftover (no need to heat) or fresh rice in to a bowl, add soup and top with sliced green onions and cilantro and ENJOY!

Jessica Percifull

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my Blog. I will try to read your comment and get back to you as soon as possible!! Thank you for stopping by! Jess

Swidget 1.0